Monday, December 21, 2015

Woken Up By A Coffee Maker

Coffee Maker. It was number three in my wishlist for our office department's Christmas party. My list also had a Jenga Blocks, which is number one, and 3 boxes with 25 bags each of Steuwart's Pure Green Tea. Came the night of our party and I was surprised because my Japanese manager picked me and he bought me this coffee maker for 10-12 cups. It was big. Was I happy? Er... kinda? I was hoping for the Jenga Blocks because I already imagined myself having fun playing it with my siblings and nephews. Coffee maker... well I just added it on my list because I can't think of anything else and it's number three on the list so I thought my picker would prioritize the number one. Our wishlist items should only be around 500php but he said it is less than 1000php. I insisted on paying the additional amount but he insisted on saying "Don't mind it (because it's Christmas)."
Fine.

I already have this french press container that Dan bought me because he knows I (we) love coffee. It's simple to use. Just put the right amount of coffee grounds, put boiling water, stir a bit, then press the lid to filter the grounds and set them at the bottom. Voila! Coffee! Though there will be little debris of grounds when I drink, I just usually let them sink and then I drink slowly. It's also easy to clean. Just swish it with water and it's ready for another round.

This morning, I've decided to try the coffee maker because it's oh-so-fancy! I checked how much power it "needs": 800W. I calculated its consumption rate based on a formula and found out that it costs 8php/hr. I've also read the manual for first time use (water only). Then when it was ready, I got excited putting my coffee grounds and pouring the right amount of water. I watched it as it made whirring and sucking and dripping sounds. After a few minutes, my coffee is done. I added sugar and creamer and started savoring it.

Aaaaahh... coffee.

For a moment it was just perfect. But then I thought, taste is the same (as with the french press) only it has no debris. After finishing my cup, I started removing the filter, the funnel, and the carafe. It took me several minutes and some more water just to clean them. Then it just woke me up.

1 comment:

  1. I suggest you should get and buy one since all of you there love coffee.

    Also, I got intrigued after reading the part where you did the computation for getting the hourly rate once you determine the power an appliance needs in watts/kilowatts. Can you teach me the formula and how to compute it because it really got my interest?

    More blog posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! :) now pop that bubble thought here.